Circuit dimmer light switch with Triac TIC 226, diy dimmer switch for led lights (dimable type) or Incandescent bulb, a fan, a drill, soldering iron temperature and more.
Dimmers are devices used to lower the brightness of a light. By changing the voltage waveform applied to the lamp, it is possible to lower the intensity of the light output. Although variable-voltage devices are used for various purposes, the term dimmer is generally reserved for those intended to control light output from resistive incandescent, halogen, and (more recently) compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Dimmers range in size from small units the size of a light switch used for domestic lighting to high power units used in large theatre or architectural lighting installations.
Schematic dimmer light switch with Triac
PCB for dimmer light switch with Triac
Attention: how to install dimmer switch circuit working directly with the high voltage network, risk of electric shock.
- Use a small heatsink in the Triac.
- You can use an incandescent bulb or LED lamp (dimmable), a fan, speed a drill, soldering iron temperature and more.
- You must use a fuse to protect the circuit, this fuse will have a nominal value 30% higher than the load to which it will be connected.
- Also optionally a switch can be used to turn off the circuit
- The Triac to be used must be according to the load with at least 30% tolerance to the current. In relation to the voltage these should be at least 30% of the peak voltage where it is installed. The VPP is 155V in 110V and 311V in 220V.
- You may need to change capacitor C1 to achieve full operation. Values between 69nF and 220nF can be tested.
- Various TRIACs can be used according to your needs, only adapting the voltage and current you need. Common in market are Bta16-600, Bta16-700, Bta16-800, Bta41-600, Bta10-700, Bta12-700, T410-600, Bta24-800, Bt136-600, Tic226, TIC236, TIC246. Just watch out for the suffixes and codes of each Thyristor, because they tell you what current and what maximum voltage they support.
- The lamp used be the dimmable type (dimmable, dimmable, DIM, attenuators, adjustable). Dimmer switches for led lights (dimmable) and Incandescent bulb.
|CN||Terminal block connector 2 screws|
|DIAC||DB3 or equivalent|
|P1||470K or 500K – Single potentiometer*|
|R1||4.7K – Resistor 1/4W|
|R2||100 Ohms – Resistor 2W at 5W|
|T1||TIC226 or equivalent, see text|
|Wires, printed circuit board, knob, box, solder, etc.|
* For power above 500W use a 2 or 3 Watts potentiometer.
For All Your PCB Need, One-stop PCB Solution Services Appear:
EasyEDA: free PCB design tool, 200,000+ engineers are using
PCBs: 10pcs 2-layer 10x10cm only $8.21, on-time global shipping
Components: save up to 50%, save on freight if shipped with ordered PCBs