XL4016 step-down DC/DC converter 8A features a fixed 180kHz switching frequency and a high efficiency up to 94%. The xl4016 also provides various protection functions such as over-current protection, over-temperature protection, and under-voltage lockout.
The xl4016 circuit consists of four main components: the xl4016 IC, an inductor, a capacitor, and a potentiometer. The inductor and the capacitor form a LC filter that smooths out the output voltage and reduces ripple. The potentiometer adjusts the feedback voltage of the xl4016 IC, which determines the output voltage according to the formula: Vout = 0.8 * (1 + R1/R2), where R1 is the resistance of the potentiometer and R2 is the resistance of the feedback resistor.
The electrical schematic of the DC-DC converter is shown in the figure below:
The xl4016 circuit can be used for various applications that require a low-voltage and high-current power supply, such as LED drivers, battery chargers, solar panels, and motor drivers. The xl4016 circuit is easy to build and requires only a few external components. However, some precautions should be taken when using the xl4016 circuit, such as:
- Do not exceed the maximum input voltage of 40V or the maximum output current of 8A
- Use a heat sink for the xl4016 IC if the power dissipation is high.
- Use a low-ESR capacitor for the output filter to reduce ripple and noise.
- Use a high-quality inductor with low DC resistance and high saturation current.
- Avoid short-circuiting or reverse-connecting the input or output terminals of the xl4016 circuit.
The xl4016e1 module is based on the XL4016E1 chip, which is a synchronous rectification PWM controller with low RDS(on) internal power MOSFETs. The module has a potentiometer to adjust the output voltage from 1.25V to 36V, and a LED display to show the input or output voltage. The module also has a heat sink and a fan to dissipate the heat generated by the high current.
The xl4016e1 module is easy to use: you just need to connect the input voltage (between 8V and 36V) to the IN+ and IN- terminals, and the output load (up to 8A) to the OUT+ and OUT- terminals. You can use the switch on the module to select whether you want to see the input or output voltage on the display. You can also use the potentiometer to adjust the output voltage to your desired level.
Printed circuit board suggestion for assembly
The xl4016e1 module has some advantages over other DC-DC converters:
- It has a high efficiency of up to 96%, which means less power loss and less heat generation.
- It has a wide input and output voltage range, which makes it suitable for various applications.
- It has a low dropout voltage of about 0.5V, which means it can still work even when the input voltage is close to the output voltage.
- It has a built-in fan and heat sink, which can prevent overheating and improve reliability.
However, the xl4016e1 module also has some disadvantages:
- It is relatively large and heavy, which may not be ideal for compact or portable projects.
- It is relatively noisy due to the fan, which may be annoying for some users.
- It does not have any protection features, such as over-current, over-voltage, short-circuit, or reverse polarity protection. Therefore, you need to be careful when using it and avoid any mistakes that may damage it or your load.
In conclusion, the xl4016e1 module is a powerful and efficient DC-DC converter that can handle up to 8A of current and 36V of input voltage. It is easy to use and has a wide voltage range, but it also has some drawbacks such as size, weight, noise, and lack of protection. If you are looking for a high-performance DC-DC converter for your projects, you may want to give it a try.
BOM to build a power supply with xl4016 IC
Last update: 02/15/2023 00:03
|C1, C2, C5||1uF||Ceramic Capacitor||3|
|D1||MBR1545CT or equivalent||SCHOTTKY 45V/15A diode||1|
|IC2||XL4016E1||8A DC-DC Converter||1|
|LED||Led 3 mm||Red LED||1|
|P1 (optional)||50k||Multi-turn Trimpot 3296||1|
|R1, R2, R6||22K||Red, red, orange, gold||3|
|R3, R7||10K||Brown, black, orange, gold||2|
|R5||1.8K||Brown, gray, red, gold||1|
|L1||47uH /10A||Toroidal Inductor||1|
|IN||Connector 2 way 5.0 mm||DC Input||1|
|OUT||Connector 2 way 5.0 mm||Regulated DC output||1|
|JP1||Jumper pin header||Connect Switch||1|
|Solder, Wires, PCB, Case, power supply.|
Download the files used in this assembly, printed circuit board, PCB
Datasheet in PDF format of the components used in this assembly.
- XL4016e1 DC converter IC PDF Datasheet
- MBR1545CT Schottky diode PDF datasheet
- PDF datasheet of 1n4148 diode