“Coil32” is a free coil inductor calculator, that allows calculating: single-layer and multilayer air core inductors, toroidal air core coil inductance, inductors on ferrite rings, in pot core, flat coils on the PCB, and also LC tank parameters. The program has additional plugins to calculate another manner of coils. There are versions for 32-bit Windows, Linux & Android platforms.
This software allows to calculate the following species of inductors:
In all variants, that are below, it’s possible to calculate number of turns if inductance is known or inductance if number of turns is known
- RF air core inductor as single turn loop
- Single layer close-winding air core solenoid
- Single layer RF solenoid with winding pitch
- Single layer RF solenoid with pitch, but noncircular windings
- Multilayer air core inductor
- Toroidal air core one-layer coil inductance
- Coil or choke on a ferrite ring (only for low-current RF circuits)
- Coil or choke in the pot core (ferrite or powder iron, only for low-current RF circuits)
- The planar PCB coil
- The software has additional modules that allow calculating:
- flat PCB coil with the meander form of turns;
- multilayer PCB inductors;
- an inductor as a rectangular one turn loop;
- estimate influence of the shield on the value of coil inductance;
- multi-winding round loop with round cross-section;
- a multi-layer inductor with rectangular former
- ferrite rod core inductor;
- finding unknown permeability of a ferrite ring;
Faced with the problem of calculating the inductors, and search for similar programs in the network, I found that most of the programs or old DOS-based command-line (which is archaic and inconvenient, excuse me the Linux terminal fans), or adapted in MS Excel. This induced me to create this program. Its name: Coil32, says that it works on 32-bit Windows, without the use of special libraries, such as Visual Basic interpreter, Java machine etc. I did it for myself, and if it will help anyone else, I’ll be happy.
Follow us on social media
- OS – Windows XP Service Pack2 or later (32 or 64 bit)
- RAM – 512 MB or more
- Screen resolution – 1024×768 or higher
In the main program menu you can select the default language, skin, and in the “Options” item – the unit of measurement of inductance, capacitance and frequency. Dimensions may be entered in millimeters and in inches. Also, you can choose automatic or manual check for updates. In the drop-down menu under the input inductor values can be selected form of the coil. Also you can select the font size and font family of the application .
- In the “Coil” sheet you can enter the raw data and calculate the number of turns of the inductor coil to the required inductance;
- In the “Inductance” sheet you can calculate the inductance of the coil from the known sizes of winding;
- Iin the “LC-circuit” sheet you can calculate the parameters of the oscillatory tank. In this sheet you can directly change measurement units by mouse-button clicking on it caption.
- All results are displayed in a common text field. You can save them to a file, copy to clipboard, print immediately. For this is a toolbar on top of the text box or pop-up menu called by right-clicking. All results can be erased and re-start the calculation. For single-layer air core inductor it’s possible to estimate Q-factor and self-capacitance and also common parameters of oscillatory circuit with this inductor on working frequency.